A truck tool box is a handy accessory for any truck owner. Whether you’re a plumber, electrician, general contractor, carpenter, or even a fishing enthusiast, a low-profile tool box will not only keep your tools organized but will also provide the much-needed protection from elements and theft. So, what are some of the best low-profile tool boxes around?
The best low-profile truck tool box should be made from high-quality, durable material, like steel, aluminum, or stainless steel. It should also be large enough to fit various tools and have compartments for proper organization. The locks should also be strong enough to keep your equipment safe.
Are you curious to learn more about the best low-profile truck tool boxes in the market? Then, you couldn’t be in a better place. Read on as we review some top-rated tool boxes that’ll keep your equipment safe on your truck bed.
We’re an affiliate
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
Table of Contents
Manufactured by the UWS store, this 63-inch (160-cm) low-profile aluminum tool box is among the strongest truck tool boxes in the market.
This top-drawer tool box is made from ultra-thick aluminum that’s gloss black in color. It comes with a one-piece, high-quality tub made from aluminum. The tub is strategically angled to accommodate different truck bed sizes, thus eliminating the risk of obstructing your truck’s wheel wells.
The presence of stainless-steel ergonomic handles allows the tool box to remain in place. Even better, the stainless-steel profile ensures the handles are durable despite various elements such as rain, saltwater, and prolonged exposure to the sun. This means you can use the tool box for several years without the need to make repairs or replacements.
Are you worried about organizing tools? Then, you’ll love this low-profile tool box. This bad boy comes with a tool tray for keeping your cargo and tools neat and well organized. Moreover, you’ll also love the screwdriver holders (built-in), which allow you to store and retrieve small items with ease.
- Easy to install as it comes in different styles and sizes to suit various types of trucks
- Comes with built-in compartments for neat tool storage and easy retrieval
- Stainless steel handles are meant to last despite exposure to harsh elements
- Made from extra-thick, high-quality aluminum
- Features UWS’s RigidCore technology (patented)
- The lid comes with a solid foam that’s vital in preventing binding
- Low-profile lid provides a good view from the rear window
- The foam beneath the lid tends to wear out rapidly
The Weather Guard Low-Profile Aluminum Tool Box comes with a high-quality, tamper-resistant lock (retractable). The tool box is designed to mount on your truck’s side rail and is also usable in combination with saddle or cross boxes.
For ease of use, the low-profile tool box features a latch mechanism (one-touch). You’ll also love the red push-button that allows for ease of opening and closing when the box isn’t locked. The cover can be opened up to an impressive 90 degrees, ensuring you have easy access to your tools.
Similar to other tool boxes manufactured by Weather Guard, this low-profile tool box is made from thick, high-quality aluminum. The J-hook mounting eliminates the need to drill holes, thus allowing for easy installation.
- Features a one-touch latch mechanism that allows for easy opening and closure
- J-hook mounting allows for ease of installation without the need for drilling holes
- Comes with an extreme protection lock designed to prevent break-ins
- Cover can open up to 90 degrees, thus allowing for easy access from different angles
- Comes with a retracting lock that’s tamper-resistant
- Made from high-quality aluminum
- Box comes with mounting hardware
- Sliding plastic tray is not the most durable
When it comes to durability, not too many low-profile tool boxes can be compared to this one. This quality tool box is made from non-rusting aluminum. The aluminum is covered with a black powder coat that provides extra protection while giving the box a glossy appearance.
The presence of a lid stiffener (double v-pan) enhances the overall strength and rigidity of the low-profile tool box. Moreover, the internal bends also add to the tool box’s strength.
If you’re concerned about elements getting in the box, then you’ll find the cell foam gasket useful.
This tool box comes with anchor hooks that ensure it’s well secured to your truck bed.
- Made from non-rusting aluminum
- The powdered coat gives the tool box a neat, glossy appearance
- Comes with a lid stiffener that enhances overall strength
- The cell foam gasket prevents elements from entering the box
- Anchor hooks allow for easy installation
- The aluminum is not strong enough to handle strong impacts as it can easily get dented
This low-profile tool box by Better Built is aesthetically appealing, courtesy of its shiny aluminum exterior. With a total weight of 53 pounds (24.04 kgs) and a 69-inch (175.26-cm) length, you can count on this tool box to keep all your equipment safe in one place.
The tool box comes with self-adjusting strikers that eliminate the need for readjustment. If you’re the type that fancies neat tool arrangement, then you’ll love the 5-pocket organization tray (plastic) that comes with the tool box. The aluminum used in manufacturing this tool box is rust-resistant, meaning you’ll get to use it for long before experiencing the gradual impacts of wear and tear.
The sturdy lid and quality tub only add to the effectiveness of the tool box. Moreover, the presence of a weather seal ensures your tools, fishing equipment, or any accessories will remain safe from the potentially damaging effects of rain, dirt, and extreme humidity.
- Shiny aluminum appearance makes the tool box aesthetically appealing
- Comes with a plastic tray that ensures tools are properly stored
- Features a sturdy lid and tub
- Made from rust-resistant aluminum
- Cannot be opened from one end
UWS has a reputation for producing high-quality, extra durable tool boxes, and the UWS Matte Black Low-Profile Truck Tool Box doesn’t disappoint. Featuring UWS’s patented RigidCore technology, the lid is guaranteed to hold your tools tightly and safely in place.
You’ll also love the solid foam beneath the lid, which prevents binding while maximizing the tool box’s structural integrity. The use of extra-thick aluminum makes the tool box among the toughest in the market. This means it won’t get easily damaged even when heavy items fall on it.
Just like most UWS tool boxes, this bad boy comes with screwdriver holders (built-in) and a tool tray to help you keep all your items well-organized. The matte black coating adds to the overall beauty of this quality tool box.
- Made from high-quality, extra-thick aluminum
- Easy to install as it comes with pre-drilled slots and hardware
- Tool tray and screwdriver holders allow for neat arrangement of tools
- Matte black appearance enhances the beauty of the tool box
- Comes with handles made from stainless steel, which enhances durability
- Features UWS’s RidigCore technology (patented)
- Three compartment tool tray
- The tool tray is not the most durable around
The UWS TBSD-69-LP Single Lid Tool Box with Insulated Lid comes with a one-piece tub meant to absorb tool drops, support extra-heavy loads, and prevent leakage. This durable tool box has self-closing struts that close the lid automatically when pulled gently. Due to this feature, it is possible to lock the box when your hands are full.
The lock handles are made from stainless steel material, which helps reduce the chances of wear and tear due to rust. For proper tool or equipment organization, the tool box comes with a high-quality sliding tray (3 compartments) that’s convenient for small item retrieval and storage.
Another standout feature of this low-profile tool box is the inclusion of foam beneath the lid, which creates a layer of protection that helps prevent warping or bending over time. Moreover, the lid is designed to open up to 90 degrees, making loading and unloading tools easier.
- Comes with self-closing struts that close the lid automatically once gently pulled
- The three-compartment tray allows for neat organization of tools, which increases accessibility and ease of retrieval
- The lid is fully foamed, which creates a layer of protection for the tools
- The tool box is made from high-quality aluminum, which ensures the product is tough and rigid enough to serve you for several years
- The use of stainless-steel handles means the tool box will resist rust and corrosion, thus slowing down the hands of wear and tear
- Might fail to open at 90 degrees over time as the lock handles grow weaker
Featuring a classy wedge design, this 61.5-inch (156.21-cm) low-profile tool box comes with a narrow single lid. Both the tub and lid are made from rust-resistant tread plate aluminum, which means the tool box will remain as good as new despite exposure to harsh environmental elements.
Are you concerned about security? Then, you should consider this low-profile tool box by Better Built. This bad boy comes with a cam paddle handle (double static) that latches with relative ease and is a breeze to open. Unlike most tool boxes that take up much space in your truck bed, the slim size makes the tool box a genuine space saver.
For smooth access and removal of tools, this Better Built Low-Profile Truck Tool Box comes with self-rising shocks. The shocks allow the lid to lift automatically, making it possible to access and remove tools with a single hand.
- Comes with double static locking handles that latch easily and securely
- Tub and lid are made from rust-resistant diamond treated aluminum
- Features a slim design that allows for space conservation at the back of the truck
- The presence of high-quality auto-lift shocks means you can easily access the tool box with one hand
- Classy wedge shape gives the tool box a unique appearance
- Not made from the most durable material that can withstand falls and aggressive handling
This 71-inch (180.34-cm) low-profile tool box is made of durable, high-quality aluminum. Its diamond-plated finish ensures the tool box can withstand various harsh elements. For increased durability, the black finish is electrostatically applied, which allows the tool box to withstand thorough beatings and extreme conditions.
The low-profile handles allow you to view through the rear window, while the availability of a lifetime warranty means you’re unlikely to lose your hard-earned cash with the purchase of this tool box. The lifetime warranty protects you from defects in workmanship and materials.
To prevent leakages, the Lund 71-Inch Diamond Plated Truck Tool Box comes with waterproof gaskets, while its one-piece, compact design allows you to save on space in your truck bed. You’ll also love the notched lead and high-quality locking mechanism that is highly unlikely to fail even after years of use.
- The top rail design allows for maximum visibility through the rear window
- Comes with a lifetime warranty that protects against workmanship and materials defects
- Push-button makes opening the tool box a breeze, while the waterproof gaskets protect tools from water and excess humidity
- Made from high-quality, extra-durable aluminum that prevents denting even amidst a heavy impact
- Rust and scratch-resistant, courtesy of the diamond-tread finish
- The storage tray doesn’t have many compartments for storing different-sized tools
If you want proper tool organization, then you don’t need to look any further than the Jobox PAC1585000 Single Lid Low-Profile Truck Box. This extra deep low-profile truck box comes with a high-quality 4-compartment plastic sliding tray.
You’ll also love the self-aligning latches that allow for side to side locking when you need to access your tools frequently. However, you can also lock the lid using the gear lock for extra security when on the go.
The lock console is made from extra strong, high-quality material that ensures the locking mechanism works as expected. This means no burglar, no matter how skilled or experienced, will break into your quality tool box.
The presence of a rigid structural lid ensures your contents are well protected from elements and security risks. For easy access when looking to access or place your tools, the manufacturers mounted push-buttons on each end. This eliminates the need to open the tool box in one direction.
- Rigid structural lid (RSL) is laminated for superior strength
- Rust-resistant, courtesy of the Armor-Brite Powder finish
- The dual rotary, self-adjusting gear lock system allows for enhanced protection of tools and other accessories
- The 4-compartment plastic tray (sliding) ensures all accessories are neatly arranged inside the tool box
- Made from high-quality material that prevents buckling and denting
- Latch pins self-align and lock the lid to allow for easy access during projects
- Can be opened in any direction
- Likely to scratch if roughly handled
This US-manufactured low-profile tool box weighs a solid 76 pounds (34.73 kgs) and is made from durable aluminum. The use of high-quality, rust-resistant aluminum increases this tool box’s durability, especially when used in highly humid and salty locations.
Although the lid is non-adjustable, it does incorporate a latch mechanism in its design. You’ll also love the two sets of keys that can be used to open and shut the locking system. The Weather Guard 121001 Aluminum Low-Profile Tool Box’s tray doesn’t come with a lot of compartments. However, it is large enough to fit most of your accessories.
- Made from thick aluminum material that enhances overall durability
- Incorporates a latch mechanism and a push-button for ease of usage
- The use of anti-rust cover material ensures it’ll last long enough without the risk of wear and tear
- Tough exterior reduces the chances of damage along the line of duty
- Spacious enough to fit both large and small-sized equipment
- The lid is non-adjustable
Buyer’s Guide: Factors to Consider When Buying a Low-Profile Truck Tool Box
With several low-profile truck tool boxes available in the market, it’s important to know the main factors to consider. These tool boxes come with varying features. In this buyer’s guide, we’ll discuss some of the main features to keep in mind when looking to buy a product that suits your preferences.
Material and Construction
As observable from our above review, most truck tool boxes are made from aluminum, steel, or stainless steel materials. Here’s a brief discussion of each of these materials:
- Aluminum: Aluminum is used in tool box construction due to its lightweight nature. It has a high strength-to-weight ratio, which makes it ideal for usage in lightweight truck tool boxes. The main advantage of aluminum is its resistance to rust and gradual deterioration over time.
- Steel: Known for their durability, steel tool boxes are among the most popular types of tool boxes. Steel-constructed tool boxes are usually heavier than most types of truck tool boxes. However, they need extra powder coating to prevent rusting as steel is highly susceptible to rust, especially in salty and humid environments.
- Stainless steel: Stainless steel truck tool boxes are known for their corrosion resistance, toughness, and rigidity. Purchasing a low-profile stainless-steel tool box is a sure guarantee that you won’t need to make any future replacements or repairs. However, if you opt to purchase a low-profile stainless-steel tool box, then you should be prepared to spend a considerable amount as these tool boxes are pretty expensive.
You’ll find that most low-profile tool boxes are classified as fit down-size or fit full-size. If you want large tool boxes that can accommodate more tools and accessories, then you should go for full-size fitting low-profile truck tool boxes.
On the other hand, down-size low-profile tool boxes are significantly smaller and work best in small pickups. Therefore, before purchasing a low-profile truck tool box, it is highly advisable to examine your truck’s size, more specifically its width, length, and depth measurements.
The main idea behind purchasing a truck tool box is to keep your cargo, accessories, or tools safe either when driving or in case you’ve left your truck to attend to your duties. As a result, you’ll need a truck tool box that’s strong and safe enough to protect your valuables.
Therefore, before purchasing any low-profile tool box, it is highly advisable to check on the security features available.
Always check on whether a truck tool box is easy to use. Ideally, the lid shouldn’t be too hard to open or close. Some tool boxes have lids with latches for ease-of-use, while others can be opened from different sides courtesy of side push-buttons.
You should always check whether the tool box is easy to use as the last thing you want is to spend minutes trying to open or close your box.
Organization is important when handling equipment and work cargo. Purchasing a truck tool box with enough compartments will help you save both time and energy. While two-compartment slides are common, you can even get tool boxes with 4 or more compartments. Either way, you’ll need a tool box with enough compartments if you want to keep your tools organized.
Ease of Installation
You’ll need to install your low-profile tool box on the side of your truck bed. Some usually come with pre-drilled hardware and mounting slots, while others will need manual drilling. In case you don’t know a thing or two about installing a low-profile tool box safely into your truck, then it’s best to outsource the work to an expert.
FAQs About Low-Profile Tool Boxes
What Is a Truck Tool Box?
A truck tool box is a unique type of tool box designed specifically for usage on trucks. While some are designed for mounting along the truck bed’s sides, others like low-profile tool boxes are meant to be installed either permanently or semi-permanently from the right bed rail to the left bed rail.
What Are Truck Tool Boxes Mostly Made Of?
Truck tool boxes can be made from a variety of materials. Most commonly, however, truck tool boxes are made from diamond-tread aluminum or diamond-tread steel (heavier option). The idea is to purchase tool boxes made from rust and corrosion-resistant materials.
How Can I Ensure the Tool Box Dimensions Match My Truck?
Since the widest areas (handles) of your low-profile truck tool box will sit on top of the left and right bed rails, you’ll need to measure the outward distance between the rails. To determine the maximum depth, it is highly advisable to measure your truck’s beds’ walls. This will allow you to determine the ideal measurements for your tool box before making any purchase.
How Can I Install a Tool Box on My Truck?
The installation of a tool box on a truck depends on several factors, the top of the list being the installation method recommended by the manufacturer.
Some low-profile tool boxes come installation-ready, meaning you’ll receive installation hardware that installs in the stake pockets and pre-drilled holes. However, point to note, always check if the lid is opening as required before proceeding further with the installation process.
How Do I Secure My Low-Profile Truck Tool Box?
Again, this one depends on the type of truck tool box you purchase. While some low-profile tool boxes might come with integrated locking systems, others tend to have hooks for padlock installation. If you need to buy a padlock separately, go for high-quality, tamper-proof options.
Advantages of Low-Profile Truck Tool Boxes
Depending on your profession, hobbies, or interests, you’re likely to have a whole arsenal of relevant accessories and tools. A truck tool box allows you to store these tools in one place without them lying and sliding (aimlessly) around the truck bed. In short, a truck tool box is an amazing way to keep all your gadgets and tools in one place.
Everyone hates searching for extra small equipment amidst an entire collection of both large and small tools. If you’re the type that loves to organize your important tools for ease of retrieval, then a truck tool box is a must-have. Most modern tool boxes come with sliding trays with various compartments, which allows for the proper organization of equipment.
Protection From Weather
Snow, UV rays, and rain are some of the elements that might end up ruining your tools and equipment if left exposed on the truck bed. Most high-quality tool boxes feature a tough foam beneath the lid that acts as a shield against elements. The weatherstripping foam prevents dust, moisture, and rain from seeping in and destroying your tools, thus extending their service life.
Among the main reasons to purchase a tool box for your truck is to keep your accessories and equipment safe. Leaving your tools exposed on the truck bed is a sure recipe for disaster, especially if they’re valuable to your trade and expensive to purchase.
As a result, you should invest in high-quality truck tool boxes. Always check on the material used and the lock mechanism in place to ensure you get durable tool boxes that will serve you for years.
Now that we’ve discussed some of the best low-profile tool boxes in the market, you should be well-placed to choose one that perfectly suits your storage needs. Remember to always check on truck and tool box measurements to ensure you buy a product that’s compatible with your car.
Some other important factors to consider are the material used in construction and safety features. Always ensure the material used is rust and corrosion-resistant since the tool box will be constantly exposed to potentially harmful elements.