If you travel long distances in your truck and often find yourself on long hauls on lonely stretches, a truck toolbox and fuel tank combo is an excellent choice. Truck toolbox and fuel tank combos provide you a secure place for your tools and eliminate the hazards of running out of gas in remote areas.
Truck toolboxes with fuel tanks can save you money by storing fuel at the best price. A fuel tank and toolbox save space and ensure that you won’t run out of gas on a long haul. Fuel tank/toolbox combos are a safe way to transport fuel without the hazards of spilling and theft of Jerry cans.
Truck fuel tank/toolbox combos give you the best of both worlds: an emergency fuel supply should you need one and a secure storage area for your valued tools and possessions. If you spend most of your time on the open road, you might consider buying one of these handy and safe units for your truck. If you would like to find out more about these ‘fuel n tool’ combos and which ones to buy, read on.
Table of Contents
What Is an Auxiliary Fuel Tank?
The Vehicle Equipment Safety Commission defines an auxiliary fuel tank as an additional fuel tank (and its attached parts) to supplement the vehicles’ fuel carrying capacity beyond the vehicle manufacturers’ fuel capacity provision. There are different kinds of auxiliary tanks on the market: transfer tanks or gravity-fed tanks.
Here’s the difference between the two:
Transfer tank’s primary function is for the transfer of fuel, and you may use them to fill up with fuel on a long road trip or to top off your generator. Transfer tanks are typically for diesel use, but they may be certified for other specialized fuels. The distinction between a transfer tank and a standard auxiliary is that it needs a pump to transfer the fuel. These pumps may be manual pumps or electric 12-volt pumps that move the fuel.
Auxiliary tanks connect directly to your vehicle’s factory tank and maybe an electric pump or gravity feed. Typically, they will have a shutoff valve and a factory fuel gauge to judge your fuel levels. Gravity feed systems replace the fuel in your vehicle’s tank as your vehicle consumes fuel, eliminating the need for an electric pump. However, due to the unpredictable nature of gravity feeds, they are illegal in the US.
What Are the Benefits of an Auxiliary Tank/Toolbox Combo?
Besides offering secure storage and a back-up fuel source for long road trips, the auxiliary tank and toolbox combo has several benefits for truck owners. Most importantly, truck drivers may cover longer distances and eliminate the need to refill in remote locations that may overcharge for gas due to their isolated location. You may also stock on fuel if a service station offers you a discount or loyalty deals.
Unlike carrying jerry cans and other less stable fuel containers, most established manufacturers ensure that their auxiliary tanks have enhanced safety features on the road. Manufacturers engineer their heavy-duty materials to withstand many of the common forces that a truck driver may encounter on the open road. Most auxiliary tank and toolbox combos come with the added security of lockable paddle handles that prevent your costly tools and fuel theft.
Toolbox and fuel tank combos save space and combine two critical functions in one neat container. Combination toolbox/tank containers eliminate the need for two separate components, save you time, and reduce effort and installation costs. The neat two-in-one container allows more space in your truck bed to transport your goods and also eliminates the potential noise and damage of a free-standing toolbox in your truck bed.
We’re an affiliate
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
Is It Legal in the US To Have an Auxiliary Fuel Tank?
Several state and federal regulations regarding fuel tanks and fuel systems may vary slightly from state to state. Potential buyers should ensure that the fuel tank/toolbox combo that they choose is compliant with the existing legislation. This compliance includes regulations from:
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
- Vehicle Equipment Safety Commission
- National Fire Prevention Association
- Recreational Vehicle Industry Association.
Gravity feeds are illegal and are regulated by:
These regulations prohibit gravity or siphon feeding as well as fuel withdrawal fittings. The fuel feeding fittings must be located above the normal level of the tank when it is full.
Buyers should be aware that the auxiliary fuel tank they purchase must have Department of Transportation (DOT) compliance. This special permit allows the end-user to refuel their truck without removing the fuel tank from the vehicle transporting the tank.
- The manufacturer must permanently and clearly mark their manufacturer’s name, manufacture date, and gallon size.
- Non-side mounted tanks may also not exceed 95% capacity when full.
10 Best Fuel Tank Toolbox Combos 2021
RDS Aluminum has been a trusted name in the fabrication and building of auxiliary, refueling, and marine tanks and toolboxes for over 50 years. The RDS Auxiliary Fuel tank Toolbox Combo is made with durable aluminum and allows users to extend their driving range and take advantage of shopping for the best fuel prices.
Each tank comes with internal baffles to reduce sloshing and a suction tube, gas cap, fuel filler shroud, and manual sight gauge and drain fittings. The toolbox offers stainless steel locks to secure your tools and the fuel fill and two lift cylinders to keep the crowned lip open. The RDS RDS-72746 meets the DOT standards to ensure that the unit is compliant with legal fuel transport requirements.
The 72746 only allows for 95% of the total 51 gallon capacity with a specialized filler neck to ensure transport safety. Potential buyers should be aware that The Fuel Tank Combo is not suitable for gasoline use. However, the combo is versatile and accommodates:
- Fertilized oil
- Combustible fuel
RDS Auxiliary Fuel Tank Combo Features at a Glance
- Built-in baffles to prevent movement of fuel
- DOT compliant
- Robust 0.125 gauge aluminum fuel tank
- 0.058 gauge aluminum toolbox
- Strong mounting brackets of 0.187 gauge aluminum
- Stainless steel locks for security
- Reinforced lid for strength
- Large opening for fast fill-ups
- Fully welded seams
- 1-year warranty.
Important Note: Tank/toolbox combos may have mounting tabs that extend the unit dimensions by 1 inch on each side. Specifications do not include these extra dimensions in the unit dimensions, and you should take the additional space requirements into account when measuring the unit’s fitment.
The Aluminum Auxiliary Fuel Tank/Toolbox Combo is another sturdy and durable offering from RDS. Not only can the tank increase your driving range, but you may use the tank as an additional factory tank with an RDS diesel install kit. The 55’’x 20’’ x 19’’ (139.7cm x 50.8cm x 48.2cm) unit includes interior baffles to prevent fuel movement in transit.
The unit offers two cylinders to hold the crowned lip open for ease of access and a stainless steel lock system to prevent tampering or theft. The textured powder-coated diamond finish is highly durable and gives added protection to the combo.
The RDS-72743 is DOT compliant, 100% pressure tested and leak-free for added safety, and a large fill spout for fast fill-ups and siphon-free storage. Unfortunately, the RDS-72743 is not gasoline compliant. Potential buyers should note that the tank manufacture prevents overfill by only allowing approximately 95% of the specified capacity for safety reasons.
RDS Aluminum Auxiliary Fuel Tank/Toolbox Combo Features at a Glance
- Sleek, low profile design
- Built-in baffles to prevent fuel sloshing in transit
- Powder-coated for increased rusty resistance
- Large 2″ fill spout for fast fill-ups
- ⅜ FPT drain plug
- Safety vent
- Dimensions 55’’x 20’’ x 19’’ (139.7cm x 50.8cm x 48.2cm)
- Toolbox dimensions: 48 x 20 x 6 1/4
- Uses include: diesel, water, fertilizer oil, biofuel, and combustible fuel
- Manual fuel; sight gauge
- Stainless steel locking system
- Simple installation
- Diesel install kits available at an extra cost
- 1-year limited warranty.
TransferFlow has been a trusted American brand for aftermarket and OEM fuel tank systems since 1983. The 100-gallon refueling tank and toolbox combo is the largest combo tank in their extensive range, with nine cubic feet of space for gear and equipment. This quality offering is DOT compliant to carry a variety of combustible fluids, including:
The unit features an easy-to-use purge function that drives the unused fuel from the hose back into the fuel tank. The unit offers paddle handles that lock and gas-filled shocks to make opening the toolbox lid a breeze.
The Transferflow is robust and durable with 12 and 16 gauge aluminized steel and powder coated with a black satin finish for extra protection against the elements. The refueling tank comes with all the parts a user needs for installation without any added costs as in other leading brands.
100 Gallon Refueling Tank and Tool Box Combo Features at a Glance
- It suits all full-size trucks
- Includes a 12-volt GPI fuel pump, nozzle, fuel cap, mounting hardware, cab-mounted power switch, and a 12′ hose (3.65m)
- Dimensions: 53.75″L x 36.75″W x 28″H (136cm x 93.3cm x 71.12cm)
- 9 cubic feet of storage: (50 3/4″ L × 20 1/2″ W × 13″ H)
- Hose purge features eliminate spills
- Baffled to prevent sloshing
- Stainless steel locking paddle handles
- Pumps up to 15 gallons a minute (56.78 liters.)
- 6-year unlimited mile warranty
- USA Made
The TransferFlow 70 Gallon Refueling Tank and Toolbox offer the best of both worlds, providing extra fuel and providing a secure space for storage. The Transferflow is patented to sit on the bed rails and is adjustable according to your truck bed. The kit offers nine cubic feet of storage space (50 3/4″ L × 20 1/2″ W × 13″) and secure locking paddles to protect your possessions from tampering or theft.
The 14-gauge, US aluminized steel protects the tank for enhanced durability and powder coated to protect from the elements. The unit comes with all the parts a user may need for installation. The combo suits any full-size heavy-duty truck, and the unit is suitable to carry:
Important note: The product dimension includes the 1 ½ inch width for the included mounting brackets.
TransferFlow: 70 Gallon Tank and Toolbox Combo Features at a Glance
- Dimensions: 73″L x 24.5″W x 27.25″H (185cm x 62.23cm x 69.2cm)
- 12-volt fuel pump included
- Includes: 12 ft. hose (3.65m)
- Harness, nozzle, and cab installed power switch
- Hose purge features for less mess
- Pumping capacity of 8 gallons a minute (30.2liters)
- Gas-filled shocks for easy lid opening
- Stainless steel locking paddle handles
- Powder-coated black finish
- An unlimited mileage warranty of six years
- USA made
The smaller tank TransferFlow offering suits all full-size heavy-duty trucks and has a sleek profile with plenty of storage area. The DOT-approved tank combo makes it legal to carry and transfer gasoline, diesel, and kerosene fluids. The unit comes with a nifty hose clearance feature that pushes unused fuel from the hose back into the main tank to reduce messy spills.
The box securely holds your possessions and prevents tampering on the tank with locking paddle handles for security. The unit also offers gas-filled shocks to make opening and closing the tool, box the lid easily.
The robust unit boasts 14-gauge aluminized steel with a powder coat finish to protect from the elements making the unit durable and increasing its longevity. The kit comes with all the hardware you need for installation, saving you cost on additional installation kits.
TransferFlow: 40 Gallon Refueling Tank and Tool Box Combo Feature at a Glance
- Dimensions: 59″L x 21″W x 21″H (149.8cm x 53.3cm x 53.3cm)
- Toolbox storage capacity 6 cubic feet (59″ L × 18″ W × 9 3/4″ H)
- Hose purge features for fewer spills
- 12- volt GPI fuel pump
- Includes 12′ (3.65m) hose, nozzle, fuel cap, wiring harness, cab-mounted power switch, and mounting hardware
- 14 gauge aluminized steel construction
- Black powder-coated finish
- Gas-filled shock for accessible open/close of the lid
- Pumps up to 8 gallons a minute (30.2liters)
- 6-year unlimited mileage warranty
- USA Made
Highway Products is a well-established American manufacturer since the 1960s and has achieved international renown. Highway products manufacture the Fantom Fuel and Tool Box out of Military-grade aluminum are available in several sizes to suit your truck bed. Highway products engineers this 100% heli-arc welded box with baffles to keep fuel slosh to a minimum and come with a lifetime warranty.
Highway Products is also a leading manufacturer of transfer pumps and offers the Fantom Truck and Tool Box pump system that pumps up to 15 gallons a minute (56.7 liters). The unit also offers an automatic shutoff nozzle to prevent spills.
The high-quality construction includes ¼” stainless steel pins that are 3102 spring tempered for extra durability. The diamond plate 5052 aluminum construction is used in military and aircraft construction and sets Fantom apart from its competitors.
Highway Products: Fantom™ Fuel & Tool Truck Box Combo Features at a Glance:
- Diamond plate 5052 Aluminum construction
- GPI pump for up to 15 gallons per minute
- Lifetime warranty for manufacturing and parts, including hinges, weather stripping, gas shocks, and locking mechanisms
- Slosh baffle systems
- Nitrogen driven gas shocks
- 12′ hose included
- ¼ inch stainless steel pins
- Vented fuel caps to prevent fume hazards
- Welded rope hooks
- Ergonomic T handle lock system
UWS is a leading manufacturer of USA assembled truck toolboxes and offers durable and quality engineered products for commercial and domestic use. The Combo transfer Tank is 100% safety tested, and users may transport class three combustibles such as:
The UWS transfer tanks feature an L-shaped utility chest toolbox constructed from .080″ mill-finished aluminum, while high-grade steel protects the fuel tank. This unique combination lessens the weight in your truck bed, which gives you extra carry capacity. Patented technology offers a high-strength lid and micro seal gasket to protect your possessions.
The 100-gallon fuel tank protects your liquids with a 14 gauge steel and powder coated in white for extra protection from the elements. The unit also boasts a commercial-grade vented cap for ventilation. The unit is DOT compliant for class three combustible fuels.
UWS Combo Transfer Tank 100 Gallon Features at a Glance
- 53 x 33 x 26 inches (134.6 x 83.8cm x 66.04cm)
- Aluminum steel combo with less weight than all-steel units
- Smooth fish powder coat
- 0.080 thickness aluminum toolbox
- 14 gauge steel tank
- 100% pressure testes
- Patented rigid core foam filled lid
- Lockable commercial-grade cap with vents
- Built-in drain plug
- ⅛ inch steel tabs and built-in lift hooks
- Internal baffles for even liquid flow
- Limited lifetime warranty (1-year parts, 1-year finish
- Lid self opens and closes to 90°
- Micro-seal gasket.
The Fuel safe Aluminum Tank Industry’s combo fuel/toolbox ensures your fuel’s security by placing the fuel filler and fittings inside the compartment under a lockable lid. The toolbox has its own floor and does not use the fuel tank’s top as a base, which gives added security for your fuel.
ATI adds a pickup tube to the gas auxiliary tanks with a hose barb to bypass gravity feed exclusions’ illegality. Also, users must provide a pump system, as they do not include one in the kit. The aluminum auxiliary tank is an impressive .125″ thick and created by the manufacturer specifically for gasoline.
The unit boasts all polished aluminum DP body construction with stainless steel locking handles to protect your possessions and fuel from tampering. The lid has gas shocks to ease lifting and closing and an extreme three-layer lid with a full aluminum piano hinge.
Important Note: The ATI tank/toolbox possesses mounting tabs that extend the tank dimensions by 1 ½ inch on either side more than the display unit dimensions.
ATI 30 Gallon Fuel Safe Gasoline Auxiliary Tank & Toolbox Features at a Glance
- Dimensions: H18’’ x L48 ½’’ x W19’’ (45.7cm x 121.9cm x 48.26cm)
- Choice of custom dimensions
- .025″ thick aluminum fuel tank cover
- Fuel safe to enclose fill when the lid is closed
- Fully baffled to reduce fluid movement
- 2″ reinforced bung for extra strength
- Welded hold down brackets
- Pressure tested tanks, leak tested, and examined by interior video
- Fuel fitting separate from the storage area
- HD aluminum toolbox
- The lid opens full 90°
- Three-layered aero beveled lid design for durability
- Industrial stainless steel locking handles
- Gas shocks for easy open and close
- Includes Fuel Shotz Kit to attach to the factory fuel system
- 1-year limited warranty
This RDS offering is a rugged tank combo with a DOT-compliant 70-gallon fuel tank, high strength toolbox, and 12V pump. The pump has an extra-strong motor that is explosion resistant and can pump up to 15 GPM (56.7 liters).
The combo allows a 70-gallon fuel haul with high-grade No-Rust 0.125″ aluminum construction and a reinforced lid with gas-filled lift cylinders for ease of opening/closing as well as a drain plug. The unit has internal baffles to ensure stable fluid transport and the added safety of a DOT-approved rollover safety valve (vent).
The unit is 100% pressure tested for safety and two stainless steel paddle handles that one may open from either side. The kit includes a 10′ hose, an unleaded nozzle, and an easy installation spin collar.
RDS Aluminum Transfer Fuel Tank Toolbox Combo Features at a Glance
- Dimensions 55’’ x 30’’ x 10 ¼’’ (139.7cm x 76.2cm x 26.cm)
- Powerful pump with an adjustable suction pipe and 10′ hose (3.04m)
- Rustproof 0.125″ heavy-duty aluminum construction
- Diamond plate aluminum projects from interior corrosion
- Fully welded seams, 100% pressure tested
- Includes 3/8″ FTP drain plug
- Internal baffles prevent fluid sloshing
- Easy to install spin collar
- Rollover safety valve
- Reinforced lid with welded lid braces
- Gas-filled lift cylinders for lid opening/closing
Delta has been a contender on the innovative storage solution market for over 40 years and has built up a reputation for quality products. Their fuel tank /toolbox offering provides an extra heavy duty 0.125″ aluminum construction for heavy use that holds up to 74 gallons.
The rigid lid storage tool area offers extra security for your tools, while the live cell-wide weather stripping around the top of the unit seals out corrosion, moisture, and dust. Heavy-duty lid strikers protect the self-rising lid tightly locked for security while the gas springs make lifting the cover a breeze.
A secure fitting is a plus with four high-strength brackets to secure the unit to your truck bed, and the unit has two full center baffles to prevent excessive fluid movement within the tank. The two NPT reinforced bungs allow the user to reverse the lockable filler cap to access both sides.
The unit meets DOT requirements for combustible fuels such as diesel but not flammable fuels such as gasoline. These are stand-alone auxiliary units that do not connect directly with existing factory fuel systems.
Delta Tool Boxes Fuel-N-Tool Combo Aluminum Transfer Tank and Tool Box Features at a Glance
- Dimensions: Overall Height – Top to Bottom: 19″. Overall Width – Side to Side: 31″. Overall Depth – Front to Back: 48.25″
- Overall Product Weight: 135 lbs.
- Removable storage chest
- Heavy-duty 0.125 tread plate aluminum construction for durability
- Interior baffles to prevent fluid sloshing
- Strikers engineered for many years use
- Wide foam weather stripping molds on the upper body to seal out environmental damage
- Gas spring assisted self-raising lid
- Extra secure storage lid
- Four high durability brackets for securing to the truck bed
- Reinforced NTP bungs
With the variety of quality fuel tank or toolbox combos on the market, you can afford to pick and choose the one that best suits your truck and lifestyle. Having the peace of mind of an extra fuel supply may eliminate the stress associated with ferrying gasoline in insecure containers. Not only that, you won’t be caught high and dry on a lonely stretch (or worse, you have to pay exorbitant prices for your fuel.)
- Law Cornell: 49 CFR CH.III (393.65) 6d
- Law Cornell: 49 CFR CH.III (393.67) 7.4.5.
- FMCSA.Dot.Gov: Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
- TransferFlow: About TransferFlow
- Highway Products: About Us
- UWS: About us
- Antitank: Aluminum Tank Industry Home
- RDS Aluminium: About Us
- Attatank: What is Legal?
- Carid: Truck tool Boxes